Next time you're having the dinnertime woes, we suggest whipping up this deliciously simple chicken recipe made by the amazing Joanna Chung! For a short video on how to prepare this recipe, be sure to visit our Instagram.
For the Chicken:
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 7-10 shallots (depending on size, peeled and roughly chopped)
- 5 tbsp. Shaoxing wine
For the Marinade:
- 2 inches grated ginger
- 1 tbsp. five spice powder
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground white pepper
- In a large bowl, mix together all marinade ingredients thoroughly.
- Rub each chicken leg with the marinade then place the chicken in a resealable bag with the excess marinade and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat a coating of oil in the inner pot of your rice cooker using the HIGH HEAT function. Once preheated, place the chopped scallions and shallots into the inner pot and stir with a wooden utensil.
- Sweat the scallions and shallots, then place the chicken legs into the inner pot. Drizzle a coating of Shaoxing wine over top.
- Cook for 30 minutes on the HIGH PRESSURE STEAM function. Once the cooker automatically switches to KEEP-WARM mode, allow the chicken to cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with warm rice and vegetables.
We recommend using a large heating pressure rice cooker like CUCKOO's 10-Cup HP Pressure Rice Cooker (CRP-P1009S) to achieve the best texture and accommodate crowds when making Joanna Chung's Five Spice Chicken.